Monday, 15 August 2016

Harley cats abscess

Hello!!

Not had a pet blog for a while so here we go. 

Harley came in a couple of weeks ago having been in a fight. I could
Tell as he was very tender when getting handled and hid all day. 

After checking him over I found he had been bitten in the back leg. I kept and eye on it for a few days and it all seemed to heal nicely. 

But last weekend I found a golf ball sized lump on his back leg where he had been bitten and I knew it was an abscess. So I got him to the vets. 

He got kept in during the day to have it lanced and when I went back to get him he had about and inch sized cut in his leg to leg the infection drain out 

The first day it annoyed the pooped out of him as it kept leaking down his leg and I assume tickling him. He wasn't allowed to lick it as cat saliva has a lot of bad bacteria and it can cause further infection. So I spent all night chasing him about with a pad to wipe it all up for him. 

For the first few days, he was on pain meds and I was cleaning it. 3 days in I started to put manuka honey on it (you all know I love a bit of manuka honey!) and it's now fully closed up with no infection in sight. Just a bald patch lol
Luckily we caught it in time. It could have been nasty and cost a lot more than the £133 we paid!! 

Speak soon 
L x
The Diary of an 'Ordinary' Mum
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows
3 Little Buttons
Mummascribbles

14 comments:

  1. Aww poor kitty cat, I'm glad he's feeling better. We used to have a cat and he would fight all the time, always coming home with cuts and bruises but luckily nothing as bad as this. Sounds like you did a great job of nursing him back to health xx #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hes fine and dandy now :) even though he went missing for 2 nights the other day!!
      Lx

      Delete
  2. That looks nasty, I'm glad it has healed well. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hes all better now and his fur is finally starting to grow back haha
      Lx

      Delete
  3. Ah poor thing!! I'm glad that you spotted it quickly so he can be treated. I love that Manuka honey helped! I would never have thought of that. You should sell it to the vets ;) #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha i use manuka honey on everything. I have a stock of +20 in the cupboard lol
      Lx

      Delete
  4. Manuka honey sounds amazing? I'm a bit obsessed with tea tree oil myself but I might need to check this out! Hope Harley is fully recovered soon. Thanks for linking to #fartglitter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he's all better and his fur is starting to grow back in as well. I never though of using tea tree oil on him!! Thanks!
      Lx

      Delete
  5. Awe poor Harley! I'm glad he's OK now and treatment worked wonders.

    Our cat Charlie had a fight and came home with a similar injury only his was at the top of his head. After a couple of days it had turned into an abscess and needed a vet visit. His abscess go re-infected a few weeks after he had healed though and needed another draining - but he's fine now.
    The facts of having outdoor cats...they seem to get into trouble even when spayed/neutered. I tell myself it could have been worse if they weren't! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha we had a tom cat when I was a kid called whisky. He was neutered and still went missing for days and fought with anything that moved or was in the garden lol
      Lx

      Delete
  6. Oh no! Poor Harley! And poor you, having to chase him around cleaning him up... I'm glad he is on the mend now, it must be so uncomfortable for them when something happens like that, and they don't really know what's going on!! And yes, Manuka honey is fab for wound healing!!
    #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so mad with me the first night haha chasing him about the house with a pad haha. But i think he's forgave me :)
      Lx

      Delete
  7. Oh dear, that looks quite sore. Poor Harley. Amazing that manuka honey did the trick, even on a pet. Thank you for linking up to the #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use manuka honey on animals and humans. the stuff is amazing!
      Lx

      Delete