Sunday, 24 April 2016

Book Review - The Danish Girl By David Ebershoff

Hello

Where do I even start with The Danish Girl ?! 

This isn't my normal type of book. I normally ready YA books. But for some reason when I seen the trailer for it in the cinemas, it really caught my attention. I don't know why, I don't know if it was the music, the scenes or the history behind it. But I was interested.

I had heard it was a big part of the transgender community and with all of the publicity that Kate Jenner has been getting recently. I thought it would be good to read. Its something i have never been involved in and I don't know anyone who is a transgender. So i thought it would be interesting to read something that was part of that history.

So normally I read the books first, then rent the films on iTunes. So we will see what I think of the film when it comes out on the 2nd of May. 

As this isn't the kind of book I normally read, I was surprised when I actually really liked it. It was refreshing to read something that had a history behind it. It's set just after WW1. This is when the story takes off. However most of the memories are pre WW1. 

It was really well written, and the characters really well developed. I liked how it would jump back and forward, giving you history to the character when something would happen to them in the chapter. Even though it was a bit jumpy when you would plunge into a memory, it was still easy to follow. 

It follows Greta and Einar's love story. Einar's life transition and Gretas support of her husband. If I'm going to be honest. I don't think I could give Mark that kind of support!

The only part of this book I didn't like was the very end. It doesn't end on a cliff hanger and it doesn't close off any of the loose ends which are created during the book. It just ends. I would have liked a few of the loose ends closed off before the story ended. 

It's definitely a book I would recommend to everyone. I would give this 4 out of 5 stars. Simply because of the ending. 

Let me know if you have or will be reading this. 

Speak soon
L x

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com
Mr and Mrs T Plus Three

10 comments:

  1. Urgh I hate it when books have zero closure. frustrating. I've given up a few books recently as just couldn't get in to them
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the end was annoying for me. you should still give it ago!
      Thanks for reading!
      Lx

      Delete
  2. I've heard such good things about this one, hopefully I will get around to it sometime soon! x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do :)
      Thanks for reading!
      Lx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book - you had me at transgender to be honest - I'm always looking for more lgbt books to read. Glad you enjoyed it. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give it a try!
      Thanks for reading!
      Lx

      Delete
  4. I'm like you, YA books are more my thing. I used to write for a large entertainment blog about movies vs film, so had to see both. Like you i gave it 4/5 and think i liked the film a bit more. I just found it a touch more engaging! Loved your piece though! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting!! love watching and reading both
      Thanks for dropping by
      Lx

      Delete
  5. I have not read or heard of this book before but it sounds like an interesting subject with a good story behind it. I must admit that when you said that you didn’t like the ending put me off a little bit bit but yet it is very interesting and it still grabs my attention. I'll check it out. Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. Hope to see you again on Sunday, :) xx

    ReplyDelete