Sunday, 9 August 2015

Breastfeeding


Well hello lovelies,

Today I wanted to talk to you all about breastfeeding.  

When I had Holly I wanted to breast feed. Holly was amazing and took straight away. At the time when I had Holly I was 24. I was fine feeding her in the house with just Mark and I. But when there was other people there or when we were out, it was a different story. 

If other people were in the house with us, which once you have had a new baby is constant for the first 6 weeks or so. I would go up to my room to feed her. 

We were quite lucky where we would go shopping as there are two baby feeding rooms you can go to. 

I just didn't feel comfortable whipping my boob out to feed my child. Which I know sounds terrible!! Eventually I started to pump and my milk supply dwindled and eventually, Holly had to use formula. To be honest I don't think Holly really noticed. But I felt like a failure. 

We have been thinking recently about extending our family. Which gets me thinking about breast feeding again and I will definitely do it. But I think this time round I'm not going to be as shy and awkward. 

I was in denial right up till she was born that I was even having a baby and I don't think I really bonded properly with her for quite some time. I think this affected me feeding her. 

I didn't look into breast feeding covers or anything like that that would have enabled me to feed her and feel comfortable about it. 

However becoming a blogger has really opened my eyes to all the different things you can get to help you out. Reading all these other mummy bloggers have really helped me. 

Next time round I will definitely have a proper feeding cover to cover me up when feeding her as I still don't think I would be confident enough to whip my boob out in public without being covered, which is still terrible to say but it's true.  I don't think after reading all these other blogs now though that I will be as shy about it as I was before. 

I kind of just wanted to say all of this because I know how hard it is for first time mums. I know how hard it is to breast feed. An even if just one person struggling with this reads this post, I just want to say that, I think reading other mummy bloggers really has helped me with this. An if you are struggling, try reading some as well. There are lots on bloglovin. There are also lots of communities like netmums which I have found have great support groups. Being part of a support group doesn't make you weak. I found it made me feel stronger to an extent, knowing I wasn't alone as I think everyone feels in those first few weeks. Even though you have lots of people around you, you can still feel lonely. 

I think some of my issues came from how sexualised boobs are. society has made them into something that we should talk about. I think as a young mum this really has an effect on you. I wish i had researched it more than i did. To be honest it was a last minute thing when i decided to do it.

Let me know your thought :) 
Leave a comment :)

Speak soon 
L x
Mami 2 Five
Mummaknows

what katy said

13 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    I can really relate to your post. I BF my first for a few months and although I wanted to do it, I never really loved it, and was mortified about feeding in front of people for quite a while. When I stopped at around 4 months if I'm honest I felt a big relief and enjoyed having my body (and wardrobe) back again. When expecting number 2 I always knew I'd BF for around the same time, and like you, invested in a feeding shawl. 3 to be precise. But, in fact I found it so much easier second time around and never used the shawls. A cami vest and loose t shirt worked so much better. It's good to be honest about how you feel about breast feeding, it's not always easy to admit you weren't a lover :-) x MMT #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad to know you found it easier the second time around. Im hoping I will too! I think having now found this wonderful support network in mummy bloggers has helped and will help in the future.
      Thanks for reading and commenting. other people experiences help a lot!
      Lx

      Delete
  2. It is so sad that you felt self conscious about feeding your baby in public - and quite awful where we live in a society where it's fine to show breasts in a national newspaper but people feel self conscious about feeding their babies. Thanks for sharing. #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I think most first time mums in their 20s might feel the same. I know some people are supper confident about it! but I think young mums need more support with it. Thanks for reading :)
      Lx

      Delete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    Breastfeeding was my greatest challenge (I found it really really difficult for the first 6 weeks) but is also my greatest achievement. I wouldn't give up.

    I think that new mothers need a lot more support when it comes to feeding their babies. That support just isn't out there and the support that is there is contradictory. I received so many snippets of contradictory advice from midwives, health visitors, lactation consultations the national breastfeeding helpline that I didn't know whether i was coming or going.

    Good luck with whatever you decide for number 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ITs true. There is so much advise that is all contradictory for new mums. I just hope this post helps someone who is feeling the same! I will definitely try again with baby two. But thanks to mummy bloggers I have so much better advice and tips now.
      Thanks for reading.
      Lx

      Delete
  4. I've never had an issue with feeding in public myself but with each new child those first few weeks, while you are both learning again, can be quite stressful trying not to show too much skin (even on your 5th!). Personally I find the breastfeeding covers are always so garishly obvious but I've seen specially made scarves that are very discreet and pretty that you might like better. I expect that after a few months and you have got the latching on and off business sorted you will be able to feed without showing any skin at all and would be happy without a cover xxx Thanks for linking up with #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the scarves!! thats such a good idea. Thanks for letting me know i will definitely check them out.
      Thanks for reading :)
      Lx

      Delete
  5. Even with a breastfeeding cover it can be so hard in the beginning to breast feed in public! I actually cut and adapted mine so that I could move baby around and actually see her while still being covered up. You are inspiring me to write that post :) Thanks for linking with #famjamlinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW inspired you thats amazing! Thats what I want from these sorts of posts!!
      Thanks for reading! an thanks for the tip :)
      Lx

      Delete
  6. I was 34 when I had my son so not a young mum, but I started off lacking in confidence about feeding in public, not so much because I was worried about what people might see, but about what they might say and think. There is always so much talk in the media about people getting annoyed with women feeding in public that I was constantly worried that I was making other people feel uncomfortable. Now, with the benefit of experience, I can say that my experience of feeding in public has been entirely positive and I have no issue doing it. I don't use a cover anymore as my son would not tolerate it once he was past the age of 3 months or so, and it was too much of a faff! It does get easier once you and baby are used to latching on quickly as well. There was a lot of fiddling around under the breastfeeding cover in the early days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this time round i will be a lot more confident. There are lots of different things i know about now that i didn't then!
      Thanks for reading!
      Lx

      Delete
  7. do you know when I had my third daughter this was how I felt, great feeding didnt work out very well with my older 2 but with Lottie she was a natural - it just worked I hated the thought of feeding in public but a couple months on i just didn't care i was discreet but i never felt ashamed or scared of a nip slip. my moto - don't like it don't look! good luck hun hope you feel more confident this time around Thanks for linking up to #kidscorner x

    ReplyDelete