Thursday, 9 October 2014

Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Well hello lovelies!!

At the weekend I took a break from studying and since I was feeling all autumny, I made pumpkin pies!!!!

Ingredients

750g of pumpkin or squash
350g of shortcrust pastry
Plain flour (for dusting)
140g of caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 beaten eggs
25g melted butter
175ml milk
1 tablespoon of icing sugar

Method 
Shortcrust pastry

I have to admit I did cheat a bit with this!! I used an Asda chosen by you ready mix. All I added in was water. 
Empty the contents into a bow and add in 5 tablespoons of water and mix with a fork until your dough comes together. 
Lightly flour your surface and knead  together until you have a smooth dough ball. 
Roll out dough until it is about 0.5mm thick. 
Now I left my tart tins at my mums so used my cupcake tin. But first I used Harrys treat bowl which is about 4.5inches across. I cut round it then place them into the cup cake tin. 
Once in the cupcake tin. I trimmed the edges. 
Here is the hard bit, blind baking. I used  rice to do mine. This is so that your base isn't soggy when using a wet filling. I lined inside of my pastry cups with grease proof paper and filled with rice. 
These were cooked for 15mins at 180c fan. I then removed the rice and lining and cooked for a further 10mins. I then removed them from the oven and turned it up to 200c for the next part. 

Filling

You can either use pumpkin or squash for this part. I used squash. 
I peeled and cut this guy up into slices then boiled in water until it was soft enough to mash. About 20mins. 

I mashed up the squash added caster sugar, salt, nutmeg, milk, 2 beaten eggs, melted butter and half the cinnamon and gave it all a good mix in. 

I then emptied my shells and added the filling. 

This was placed back into the oven at 200c for 10mins, then the temperature was reduced to 180c and I cooked them for another 15mins. Just until the filling is set. 

Here is the finished product

You can then dust these with some cinnamon and icing sugar. But do this right before serving or it will absorbe into the tarts over night. 

Tips

You don't need to use a fresh pumpkin, you could use tinned pumpkin purée. This would save you a lot of time. 

Once the pastry is in the tins. Make sure and trim the edges. Makes them look neat and tidy.  

I hope you all enjoy and let me know if you try it :)

Speak soon lovelies. 
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment