Thursday, 3 July 2014

How To Keep Your Outside Pets Cool

As you all know, I have 3 rabbits which stay outside. I have 2 boys and 1 girl.

It's fine in the winter as it's real cold over here in Scotland, so they all get lots of hay and straw in their beds to keep them toasting. Thumper even had a cushion lol. 

But in the summer we have the odd week here or there that is super hot. By super hot I mean in the early 20's. If we are really lucky!! It might even hit 22c!!! 

So the poor rabbits have a fur coat on, and even though I have their huts placed in the garden where they get the most shade, they still get super hot. 

So to keep them cool buns I freeze lots of bottles of water. 
Here I have some I made earlier lol. My rabbits are happy with these. They will throw them about there cage and lay on them or beside them when they are too hot. 

I have heard though of people who wrap these bottles in an old pillow case and leave a big spare bit at the end. Then lay the spare bit of pillow case over a tile. This work because when the bottle starts to melt, it will make the pillow wet with the cold water which will travel from the wrapped part to the spare part over the tile. It all so helps to give it a spray with some water. Keeping the tile cool for the rabbit to lay on. 
Have a look at that photo above. It will probably explain it better than I have. 

I got this from the Bunny Parents Edinburgh Facebook page. Great page for bunny info. 

Speak soon lovelies. 
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment