Monday, 21 April 2014

A Little Bit Of Green Part 2


So the only thing I have new for the house is this
This is called a Snaily or a Dischidia. This is a type of Milk Weed. The snail she'll is a proper snails shell from the Thailand rice paddys. Being an animal lover of all types, this bit did make me cringe. I am just hoping they don't kill them just for this, and that they are already dead (please just let me live in my bubble :) ). The reason is can grow in a snail she'll is that it has shallow roots, so it doesn't needs soil to grow. The only downside to this cool looking plant is, it can get wild. So you need to keep an eye on it and keep it clipped back. 

Since it's been lovely weather. I have done some stuff in the back garden. 

Here is some rhubarb I planted. My uncle was going to bin it, so I took it home. Hoping I can make some rhubarb crumble out of it, If it takes that it. 

I also planted some more strawberries. So I now have 4 hanging baskets of these. 

Then I got some pea shoots. These will be planted in the tubs you seen in the rhubarb photo. That way they can grow up my fence. 

Last but not least I have my potatoes planted in here, it worked a couple of years ago. Finger crossed. 

Normally, I would like to grow most of these from seeds myself, and I have done in the past years. However now with looking after Holly, Sewing and all the other craft things I do including looking after all my animals. I simply don't have time to grow them from seeds. 

I am going to try and grow my Sweetpeas, Sunflowers and Sented Night Stock from seeds. We will see.  

L x

8 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a great garden started :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to get some flowers into it. But thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to grow sunflowers from seeds too! I did it last year and I had a sunflower grow over 10 feet! I had to keep switching the pot it was in.
    XO, Steph http://sunberrystyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had one that big!! But I like some of the different variety you get :)

      Delete
  3. Reading this has inspired me to think about getting out in the garden and sort the plants out! My strawberry plant is all that survived over the winter! I've never managed to grow potatoes, do you just plant them in large tub?
    Anneka@
    www.mamaandthree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :) you can get the planters from a pound shop or B&M. Then I just buy potatoes from the shops and wait on them sprouting then plant them :). You could buy a fancy variety from a garden center if you wanted. They will grow big stalks and when the flowers die, it's time to pick :)

      Delete
    2. I usually end up with plenty of sprouting potatoes so will be giving this a try- thanks for the tips :-)

      Delete